EMS Rig Move Coordinators are very professional in their field and do much more than just assist in watching a rigmove and writing down a few notes. There is much preparation that goes into the pre-rig move process to minimize the risk of unplanned events which can cost thousands and thousands of dollars and ruin safety ratings and business relationships.
EMS is diligent in vetting all of the personnel and equipment outsourced to move the rig. This includes Crane companies, Trucking companies and all of the Operators of heavy equipment such as cranes, forklifts and trucks.
Crane companies need to provide proof that their operators are certified and that the riggers have at least a 10 hour OSHA card and proper rigger training.
Transportation companies need to provide proof that their drivers have a current MVR, drug screen, and have been properly orientated and road tested.
All personnel on a rig move site need to have the proper orientation for the work they will be contributing to the rig move.
All companies on-site need to have the business that has been dedicated to move the rig listed as additional insured. Likewise a W9 needs to be issued as well. All of the equipment used in the rig move needs to have a current inspection as well as possible lift test or cable inspections for cranes and heavy haul trucks. This would include cranes, big beds and winch trucks. Forklifts and similar equipment would also need to comply with this process.
Our Coordinators are well versed!
Rig Move Coordinator
EMS requires all Rig Move Coordinators to help the Rig Move Management Team to plan,
help budget, track, coordinate and execute on site operations. Our primary focus is providing safe,
efficient, timely and cost effective rig move support. Send Daily Re-Caps and Reporting to the
Rig Manager, Truck Pusher and any Superintendents or pertinent personnel in conjunction with the rig.
These reports will include the tracking of tear-down and rig-up performance metrics for rig moves as well as all loads hauled. The company is always looking for someone with great ideas and the ability to ensure quality control and implementation.
• Planning and coordination of rig moves including stacking, load distribution, routing.
• Collaborating with Drilling Foreman and vendors/contractors on project planning and
defining equipment and load specifications.
• Assessing site layout and stacking of materials/parts including a detailed understanding of
• Planning and coordinating dimensional and over-dimensional loads for permitting.
• Organizing and communicating rig move schedules and working with the Drilling Foreman,
ensure all loads are ready for transport with the proper type and number of equipment needed.
• Working to eliminate standby time and working toward continuous improvement with our
rig move processes.
• Working with Road Use team to help ensure routes are bonded and optimal routing is planned.
• Working with Drilling Foreman and Road Use team to communicate activity to internal and
• Tracking and reporting of KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) for rig moves.
• Help manage the rig moving vendor relationship including job performance issues.
• Conducting a Route Hazard Assessment to identify and communicate potential hazards.
• Developing a Pre-Job Safety Plan and in conjunction with HSE team.
• Participating in rig move safety meetings and/or tailgate meetings.
• In conjunction with the rig move vendor, Drill Rig Manager, Drilling Foreman, and
Site Safety personnel, conduct and document a JSA (Job Safety Analysis) and Critical Lifts.
• Communicating Near Misses to the Drilling Foreman for reporting purposes.
• Maximizing cost efficiency for rig moves and related equipment.
• Controlling rig move costs and validate tickets/BOL’s for Drilling Foreman sign-off.
• Scheduling equipment and personnel required to complete the project and communicate to a
cross-functional team including vendors, drilling team members, HSE, facilities, and road management.
• Providing accurate and detailed rig move cost estimates or quotes including add-ons and equipment costs to the drilling team.
• Providing cost variance reports, rig move efficiency, and cost reporting KPIs to the drilling team and contractors.
• Reviewing and communicating carrier performance to the drilling team, HSE, and the carrier.
• Working with rig move carriers to conduct pre and post job planning and review meetings.